I know I said I’d tell y’all about my first marriage, but I’m still warming up. It’s simply not the kind of story you’d expect to hear, so I refrain from telling it unless I’m prepared for my audience’s reaction.
But that’s not the issue. One of my New Year resolutions is to make it a point to blog every day, but I have missed one day already. I’m feeling some type of way about it, because I’m scared the other resolutions will go south too, and that’s the last thing I want. So much is going to happen this year, and I cannot afford to be slack about any of it. Let me use the opportunity to warn y’all about those ones who don’t think New Year resolutions are a big deal. Please don’t mind them at all, because they are a big deal.
Nothing’s as good as setting goals for yourself at the beginning of a new year, but have you thought about writing them down, as against making mental notes in your big head? I suppose that’s the major reason for the failures we record with resolutions. We think to ourselves, “Okay, I’ve had enough of procrastination. It has ruined my life enough, but no more. From today, 1.1.15, no more procrastination.” One forceful flash thought that ends right there. Lol. Allow me go academic on you for a minute.
There was a fascinating study conducted on the 1979 Harvard MBA program where graduate students were asked “have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?” The result, only 3% had written goals and plans, 13% had goals but they weren’t in writing and 84% had no goals at all. Ten years later, the same group was interviewed again and the result was absolutely mind-blowing.
The 13% of the class who had goals, but did not write them down was earning twice the amount of the 84% who had no goals. The 3% who had written goals were earning, on average, ten times as much as the other 97% of the class combined! While this study only looks at earnings to quantify success, I still find it to be an extremely motivating example of why creating clear and measurable goals and writing them down is a key to success.
Ok, so somebody’s a little lost and wondering why we’re suddenly talking income. I’m trying to get you to fall in love with New Year resolutions again, and approach it from the documentation angle. So why should you even bother? Supposing you enjoyed writing which you don’t, there’s simply no time for such trivialities. 2014 was fabulous already, and you plan to just take things easy, one day at a time. That’s fantastic. But as fantastic as 2014 was, isn’t there a part of you that thinks about those things that you could have done better? Or the things you wanted to do but for some reason didn’t get around to doing because you kept saying “next week” and “next month” until bam, Christmas time. Well, here’s some reasons why you should write those goals down:
First, clarity. Writing your goals down forces you to narrow it down to exactly what you want to achieve. If one of your goals is to spend some time traveling, you don’t just get up and wander into oblivion, do you? Where would you like to go? Because your destination determines how you pack and how you travel, unless you’re the type of free spirit who would venture to Europe by road, and in winter. Hehehe.
Next, motivation. This is true for me. I find that sometimes I am so inspired that I pick up my pen and the notebook of the season (there’s always one), and write out my goals over a one year, three year, five year period. And then I get carried away with the hustle and I either slow down, or I forget. But then later, I get to pick up the note book, go through the things I’d written and it fires me up to pursue again. This blog is one of those things I wrote about in 2011, and I didn’t get around to it until three years later. Thankfully, it was on a five year goal plan, before you label me procrastinator.
Another reason, progress. Writing goals down will help you see and measure your progress. And the more you achieve as you go along, the more you’re motivated to achieve. Sometimes, I go as far back as the 2009 notebook, just to see how far I’ve come, what I’ve left out and how much I’ve grown since that time.
I hope I have you sold o! It’s going to be an awesome-tastic year, let’s do everything to make sure it stays that way. I promise to tell you all about that first marriage, right after I share my 2015 goals with you, partly so you can hold me accountable. You would, wouldn’t you?
Be great, always.